Behavioral interview questions
Nowadays, the interviewer uses many types of evaluations to choose the adequate personal for their companies. One of them, try to research the behavioral of applicant in determinate situation for example: under stress. This type of interview is called Behavioral interview and is used for more and more companies in the last years. Know the behavioral of their future workers in particular situations is very important for the companies, for this reason the interviewer applies determinate questions called Behavioral interview questions; this type of questions search specific information and different studies have demonstrated that the answers to these type of questions are 5 times more exact than traditional interview questions.
Behavior questions impact on 4 very important aspects. The first one is the description of a work situation raised by the interviewer. The second aspect is the calcification and opinion of the applicant about this work situation, the applicant considers this work situation as a problem or an opportunity in which develop his skills. The third aspect is related to the possible solution that the applicant can use in this situation and finally the fourth aspect is the result of this experience that the applicant will can idealize.
Types of Questions
Generally, after of ask the most common interview questions, the interviewer will inquire about the past experience of applicants using the behavioral interview questions; the answer of these questions searches to know the behavior of postulant in previous work situations of stress and pressure among other things; and how they came out of these situations. For example:
- Tell me about the time in which you were in this situation...
- Give me an example, what type of steps you took to resolve this situation.
- Describe a situation in which you caused problems and how you resolved them.
Other types of questions inside of behavioral interview, search specific information; the interviewer after having this information, will ask determinate questions to investigate deeper inside the answers given before. Also the interviewer can choose some answer of his interest and delve deeper again with more specific questions. It sounds redundant, but in this form the interviewer realizes that the story that you tell is true, anyone made very elaborate lies.
- How you did that exactly?
- Tell me the process that you took to resolve this situation.
- What were the foundations for taking this decision?
Tell the true, talking about real work situation that the applicant had to pass and giving details of these situations will be very important for the interviewer, beside of earn many points in favor of the applicant. In this way, research previously in the aptitudes, qualities, values and philosophy of the company in which the applicant want to work, is important and necessary. According to this information of the company, the applicant can give responses related to the mission and vision of the company. This advice will help applicant to anticipate behavioral interview questions.
In a behavioral interview questions, the responses should be relevant and detailed; in this form, the applicant have to be specific and have to tell detailed and true stories about his past work experience too.
- Describe his past work situation in which you were...
- Tell me about the part in which you realized the problem...
- What steps you made for resolve this problem?
- What time you take to resolve the situation?
Many postulants think that the behavior questions are most among the regular questions, and this fact is true, but they do not realize that the interviewer chooses only some behavior questions according to philosophy, mission and vision of the company. Each workstation need workers with determinate characteristics and abilities, for this reason, the types of questions in behavioral interview are less but deep and specific.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- ADVANTAGE: The Behavioral interview questions, as other interviews, have advantages and disadvantages. In this case, the responses to behavioral questions are objectives and contribute to a better selection of personal. Many people enjoy telling their past experience, they feeling the interview as a normal conversation, besides of give thanks to talk about their achievements in past work experience.
- DISADVANTAGE: Response to these behavioral interview questions demands large time. Therefore, the interviewer has to be patient and take as much time as possible to hear the answers of the applicant. Other negative factor is the major effort and extra skills that the interviewer has to use in this kind of interview; they can prepare the behavior questions with 2 or 3 days of anticipation.