Before attending a job interview, it is so important to consider an interview checklist as a tool to be prepared and confident of getting the job position. Many people feel so stressing when they have a job interview but it is important to remember that when a prospective employer calls them to a meeting it means that they are considered competitive candidates for the job and have the opportunity to demonstrate their capabilities.
Keep in mind, the purpose of an interview checklist is to achieve a good preparation for job interviews and this way you can avoid making mistakes, and remember that in every interview you will improve because you will gain more experience and any interview will be easier than the before one.
Take an interview as a compliment because unqualified applicants are eliminated, for that reason you must get the necessary resources to make a positive first impression. Looking for these resources can be a difficult task and it can involve an extra effort but it can make the difference to get the job or not. You can review information about interview questions and tips.
The majority of interviewers consider the following categories to qualify the applicants: appearance, body language, responsiveness, attitude and the resume. According of these categories you can review the lists below that include the necessary information for being prepared for this serious appointment.
The interview is separated en 3 essential moments: Before, during and after the interview. The first step is to read the entire list and identify some points in which you need to encourage. The next step is to review carefully each of these tips and define your actions en each point.
Before an interview
- Define strengths and skills that you posses from other candidates.
- Make a list of things you know and which you need.
- Define how you compensate your weaknesses.
- Prioritize each list item as essential, expected and optional.
- Avoid changing your scope or setting incorrect expectations.
- Have a clear perception of the job position.
- Look for information about the company.
- Practice responses to ordinary questions to be confident with them.
- Make a list of questions to ask the interviewer.
- Enumerate experiences, education and training for the job.
- Make a list of employment history with details such as names, addresses, and dates for each job.
- Perform a mock interview with a close friend.
- Have a clear expectation about your salary.
- Search suit or professional outfit appropriate.
- Sleep early the night before to the interview.
- Take out the clothes you will wear and make sure they are clean.
- Lay your clothes out ready for avoiding setbacks.
During an interview
- Be at least 15 minutes early.
- Take some minutes in the bathroom to check your appearance.
- Check in with the receptionist and let him or her know that you have arrived and have an appointment.
- Prove to be very polite.
- Be friendly with the interviewer.
- Consider nonverbal communication such as: sit up straight, make good eye contact and avoid nervous mannerisms.
- Speak clearly and forcefully and try being a good listener.
- Follow the interviewer's lead, so you can relate background and skills in context.
- Be specific, concrete, and detailed about your answers.
- Offer examples of your work and references to demonstrate your qualities.
- Answer the questions as honestly as you can, and not to say more than is necessary.
Closing an interview
- Do not express discouragement if no definite offer or no specific salary.
- Keep calm if you get the impression that it is not going well.
- Thank the interviewer for his or her time.
- Before finishing the interview, express interest in the job position once again.
After an interview
- Take notes about things that you can improve for other interviews.
- Write a thank-you letter to the interviewer for expressing interest.
- If you are offered the job position, one to two weeks is a reasonable time to make a decision and write a reply about the job.
These tips for interviews can be a powerful tool that helps you to demonstrate your capabilities and be considering the best candidate for the position. You can make modifications and adapt them according to your needs. Apply them and you will see the good results you are going to obtain. Remember, you have all the necessary potential to get a successful job position.